Sweetened with sugar cane syrup, Gateau de Sirop is the perfect Louisiana Christmas dessert. This classic Cajun cake is sweetened with Steen's sugar cane syrup. Steen's syrup is an original pure food product, produced the same way today as the original, created in 1910 with 100% cane syrup and no preservatives or additives. This simple deep caramel sweetener adds a unique Cajun flavor to Gateau de Sirop.
We hope you have a sweet Christmas filled with delicious goodies like this one!
Gâteau de Sirop
Reprinted from Bon Appetit
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 1/4 cup sall-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Steen's cane syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cupwarm buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Special equipment:An 11”-diameter tart pan with a removable bottom
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour pan; set on a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour and next 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add sour cream; beat to blend. Add cane syrup and 1/2 cup hot water; beat until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time; blend well between additions. Add ginger. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions on low speed. Add buttermilk; beat just to blend. Pour into pan; smooth top.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.