Fresh, delicious Louisiana blue crabs are in season right now! A crab boil is great way to celebrate the end of the summer. Here are our tips on how to have the perfect Louisiana crab boil.
Set the tone of your crab boil with a crab themed invitation! This blank watercolor invite can also be used for the menu. Customize it by printing at home with your featured dishes.
Here in the Gulf Coast we have blue crabs available, so using local and fresh crabs is the best way to go. Aren't the colors of fresh blue crabs beautiful?
Season the crab boiling water with lots of spices, garlic, onions and lemons. Zatarains makes complete seafood spice blends for crab, shrimp and crawfish boils, found here.
In Louisiana, we don't limit the boil to just crabs. Those delicious Cajun boiling spices add great flavor to what ever is in the boiling pot. Add in sausage and hot dogs (for the kids). Create spicy sides with boiled artichokes, red potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, corn- even brussel sprouts.
You will need a BIG pot. This crab boiling pot is full of flavor. The blue crabs will turn bright red once they are cooked.
While the crabs are cooking, serve a family favorite-Crab and Brie Dip.
Crab and Brie Dip served on a cute Louisiana state shaped cutting board.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 lb. white crab meat (picked through for pieces of shell)
- ½ small onion- finely chopped or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz. Brie cheese, rind removed
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning to taste
1. Sauté onion and garlic in butter over medium heat. Cooking until the vegetables are soft.
2. Deglaze the pan by adding white wine. Add in Worcestershire sauce, bring to a rolling boil, stir often and reduce the liquid by about half.
3. Add in cream and reduce to a simmer. Add both cheeses in small pieces, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat. Season to taste with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
4. Gently add the crab meat, trying to keep the lump crab meat intact.
Serve warm or cold with assorted crackers or toasted baguette slices. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges.
Crab shaped cookies are adorable desserts, or can serve as guest party favors. They are easy to make with a crab cookie cutter, available here for $1.50.
This photo by Vicki Lynn Photography and Crab Shack Birthday Party designed by the Tom Kat Studio. Check out more photos of this precious crab birthday party ideas, here .
Looking for fun activities for kids? Print out this crab coloring page, available here.
They are great colorful accents to add to any crab boil party and wacky crab themed things like crab hats, soap and this crab mylar balloon.
To see a larger collection of crab boil party ideas, check out our Pinterest page, which has a collection of all things crab from all over the internet. Just click through each image to see the original source.